jeudi 31 octobre 2013

Entry # 5

Hello Blogger!

In this article, I will compare English culture with French culture


Cultural Observations

In my host organization, I didn't see any religious symbols but, I noticed that in French schools there is always a cross. At the children world academy, there are many paintings, posters, colors and advertisements that the students did. There is so many that I find it over loaded because in french schools there is much less clutter. 
After that, the only music I heard is children singing the body song. 
People around me also told me that they were reading the suburban newspaper as well as  The News and Chronicle. They also told me that they listen to 800 AM radio (CJAD). 
For the holidays, english people are giving more importance to Canada Day, Christmas and Thanksgiving. And French speaking quebecers are celebrating St-Jean baptiste day and attach less importance to traditional occasions. But like french culture, traditions is loosing significance. 

English around me

Almost every time I go to my internship, I read a book for the kids. On my last visit to my internship, I read a book called: Being Bossy. During my reading, I paid attention to my pronunciation and the meaning of the words. I also used some of my idioms. One time, I asked a kid to repeat what he said to me and I still didn't understand so I said "Its all greek to me". Also, a kid didn't want to play a game and I told him two idioms in the same sentence "Its a piece of a cake we're all in the same boat". This is how I introduced my idioms.

New words and expressions

During my reading, I noticed a few words that I learned. The book was about a little girl being bossy. I learned words like leapfrog (a game), frighten others (scare someone),  bribe (to corrupt someone), crowded (a bunch of people), etc. 

My internship is better that what I expected. Talk to you soon.

Catherine

Here is a drawing were a little girl wrote I LVOE U CATHERINE <3

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire